Prickly Pear Cactus Juice
1 cup of crushed ice
1 (1 inch) chunk fresh ginger
4 fresh prickly pears
2 fresh limes, squeezed
1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
2 tablespoons raspberry syrup
1 cup cold water
½ cup raspberries, placed in the freezer for at least 1 hour
1. Fill a small pitcher with ice cubes. Set aside.
2. For the ginger juice: Clean, peel and grate the ginger.
3. Set aside 2 teaspoons of the grated ginger root.
4. For the prickly pear purée: Put on rubber gloves and trim the ends off of the prickly pear.
5. Using a paring knife, slit open the fruit lengthwise and peel the skin apart.
6. Coarsely chop the flesh and mash.
7. Assembly time: Use a cheesecloth to squeeze the juice from the ginger and the prickly pear.
8. Filter the juice through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard any solids (seeds).
9. Remove the ice cubes from the pitcher. Fill it with the gathered juice.
10. Add lime juice, agave nectar, raspberry syrup and the cold water and stir well.
11. Fill 2 glasses with the frozen raspberries and add the prickly pear juice.
12. To make the juice an alcoholic beverage, add a shot of Tequila.
Latin Specialties_Prickly Pear Cactus Juice Recipe